Crispy and easy baked chicken drumsticks recipe that you will totally love!! I just learned today that chicken drumsticks are also known as chicken legs. Whatever name you want to give them, I hope you will enjoy this healthy drumsticks recipe as much as we did!!
Don't skip to the recipe card just yet. You don't want to miss out on ONE OR MORE USEFUL RECIPE TIPS in the post!!
Why you will love this easy baked chicken drumsticks recipe
Simple - this recipe is totally easy and makes use of just 5 everyday ingredients that you most probably have. If not, you are certain to find them at your local supermarket.
Efficient - You can complete other tasks while the chicken drumsticks bake. This is not the case when for example, frying the drumsticks.
Healthy - You only need just a bunch of spices and the good old olive oil.
Cost friendly - Chicken drumsticks or legs are cost-friendly, in comparison to, for example, chicken wings. You basically get more meat for less money.
Other chicken recipes to love:
What you need to make this easy baked chicken drumsticks recipe
No fancy gourmet equipment needed. Basically, all you need is your everyday kitchen tools or utensils.
- Cup - to prepare the marinade
- Mixing bowl - to mix together the chicken and the marinade
- Paper towel or a clean kitchen cloth - to take off excess moisture from the drumsticks
- Baking sheet or tray
- Parchment paper - to prevent the chicken legs from sticking on the tray
- Kitchen tongs - to remove the chicken legs from the oven
- Meat thermometer - highly recommended
How to make the easy oven baked chicken drumsticks recipe
To make these chicken drumsticks:
- Prepare the marinade.
- Add the marinade to the chicken drumsticks and give it some time to do its magic.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F or 220°C.
- Place parchment paper on a baking tray and lay the chicken drumsticks on the baking tray.
- Bake on the middle rack for 15 minutes, use a tong to turn the chicken legs and bake for a further 20 minutes.
TIP: Leave some space between the chicken drumsticks when laying them on the baking tray.
TIP: Don't forget to turn them mid-baking. That will make them crispier on the outside.
How do I tell whether my chicken drumsticks are done?
- The chicken should display at least 165°F or 74°C on an instant-read meat thermometer. This is actually the best way to be sure.
- The waters should run clear and the chicken legs should no longer be bloody.
- Cooked chicken legs or drumsticks as they are sometimes known will feel firm to the touch when pressed. Uncooked chicken legs, on the other hand, feel soft.
- The flesh at the thinner side of the bone on the chicken leg separates and pulls on towards the upper and wider side of the drumstick.
However, the best method still remains using a meat thermometer.
How long to bake chicken at 350°F -baking chicken legs at different temperatures
Wondering how long to bake your chicken drumsticks at 325 or 400? The table below will give you a guide on how to go about it.
Needless to say, different baking temperatures will translate to different baking times for the chicken legs. The total time will, however, depend on the type of oven in the end. So feel free to add or deduct a few minutes.
|Temparature||Baking time required|
|Chicken legs baked at 300°F or 150°C||30 - 40 minutes|
|Chicken legs baked at 325°F or 160°C||30 - 40 minutes|
|Chicken legs baked at 350°F or 175°C||25-30 minutes|
|Chicken legs baked at 375°F or 190°||25-30 minutes|
|Chicken legs baked at 400°F or 200°C||20 - 25 minutes|
|Chicken legs baked at 425°F or 220°C||20 - 25 minutes|
What to serve it with - pairing suggestions.
These chicken drumsticks go well with vegetable noodles, cauliflower mash, riced cauliflower, green beans or healthy baked vegetables.
Easy Baked Chicken Drumsticks Recipe
- Kitchen towel or cloth
- Baking sheet or tray
- Parchment paper
- An instant read meat thermometer
- 7-8 chicken drumsticks or legs (about 7-8 legs)
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp curry powder
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Using a paper towel or clean kitchen cloth, pat-dry the chicken legs. This step is important as it will help you achieve that nice and delicious crispy bite. You don't want to skip this step.
- In a small cup, prepare the marinade by mixing together olive oil, salt, turmeric and curry powder.
- Transfer the chicken legs to a Ziploc bag or a large bowl and pour over the mixture. Make sure to mix properly so every bit of chicken leg is covered with the marinade. Let sit for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F or 220°C.Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the chicken legs on the baking sheet. The chicken legs should be spaced out, otherwise, you may not attain the desired outer crispiness as the juices from the legs tend to run over.
- Bake the chicken legs in the middle rack at 425°F or 220°C for 15 minutes, then carefully turn each leg and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Using a tong, carefully remove one chicken leg and place it on a plate. Use an instant-read meat thermometer to check whether it is done. It should read 165°F or 74°C. If not done bake for a further 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve.
“Nutrition information on the site is an estimate calculated using a third-party source and is provided for informational purposes only. It is highly recommended that you make your own calculations. If you have any specific dietary concerns, kindly consult with your healthcare practitioner. Variations may occur for many reasons, such as ingredients used and food preparation. We make no representation or warranty of the accuracy of this information.” Net carbs exclude fiber, erythritol and allulose since they do not impact the blood sugar levels in most people.
Tried this recipe? Tag me on Instagram using the hashtag #paleolowcarbkate so I know how it turned out. I would also love to connect with you on Facebook.
Other recipes to try!
Loving this recipe? Well, you may also want to try out these other delicious Instant Pot recipes!
- Chermoula Sauce Recipe - Keto and Paleo
- Baked Celeriac Chips or fries
- Mascarpone chicken and mushroom recipe
- Whole orange roast chicken recipe
- Simple Keto Chicken hearts recipe