Moist, fluffy, decadent and delicious Easy Mocha Keto Chocolate Cake that you will love. A dark chocolate ganache crowns this beautiful cake. This recipe is easy to make and also friendly for diabetics as it has no added sugars. The recipe uses almond flour and a little Just 6 net grams per serving!
Before you skip to the recipe card, don't forget to read through the post so you don't miss out on useful TIPS related to this recipe.
Why you will love this Easy Mocha Keto Chocolate Cake
This is a simple summary for those who prefer to read about the recipe in the post. A printable recipe card is provided at the end of this post.
Rich, fudgy texture. Thanks to cocoa powder and sour cream in the batter, this cake is so moist and tender. Its fudgy texture is similar to fudge brownies or flourless cake, but it’s also a little fluffy from the eggs and almond flour.
Bold coffee flavour – With instant espresso powder baked right in, this cake boasts that perfect flavour combination of coffee and chocolate. Truly a match made in heaven.
Smooth, shiny dark chocolate ganache topping – This was my favourite part. I LOVE chocolate ganache, and I take any opportunity I have to make it. This chocolate ganache, made with Lilly’s sugar-free Dark Chocolate Chips and heavy cream, is so creamy and chocolatey. It makes this cake even better!
Espresso whipped cream – the perfect complement to the rich, fudgy cake and ganache is a light, fluffy homemade whipped cream! This one has the flavours of vanilla and espresso, and it’s amazing.
Keto and Low carb – It has only got 6g net carbs per slice and no added sugar, and because it’s made with almond flour, it’s also gluten-free!
Easy to make - The cake can easily be whipped together in a bowl. Basically, a one-bowl recipe. Do not let the cake intimidate you!
No flour - Perfect, in case you are searching for a flourless chocolate cake recipe. This recipe uses almond flour and coconut flour.
Gluten-free - Hence excellent for those with gluten allergies.
No added sugars - making it great for diabetics and trim healthy mama (THM) diet.
TIP: Cake tins are normally not leakproof meaning greasing the pan alone may not be good enough. I always recommend lining the bottom of the tin with parchment paper to combat this problem. The parchment paper should come just about to where the base of the cake tin meets the sides.
Can I use almond meal instead of almond flour?
As tempting as it may be, using almond flour just won't result in the same results. Blanched almond flour gives the best results.
Can I store this Mocha Keto Chocolate Cake in the fridge
Absolutely! You can make this chocolate cake ahead and store in the fridge. Just slice the cake into pieces (without the ganache) and store it in an airtight container.
Paleo Option: Can I have this cake if on a paleo diet?
Yes, you can. Just replace the sour cream with a dairy-free paleo sour cream. You can replace the Swerve with coconut sugar and use coconut cream instead of the heavy cream.
You may also be interested in:
Using this cake as an easy Keto Birthday Cake
I know the struggle when one has special occasions such as parties with friends or even birthdays. The good news is, this recipe makes for an easy keto birthday cake. It is my to-go-to recipe whenever we have friends over, who are not on a low-carb or keto diet. Most of them get shocked when I tell them that this cake is actually flourless with no added sugar! It seems you can have your cake and eat it too!!
What you will need:
- granulated sweetener (I used Swerve)
- Vanilla extract
- Vegetable oil
- Sour cream
- Super-fine almond flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill for the best texture)
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Espresso powder
- Baking powder
Making the Cake!
This cake is much easier to make than it looks! It’s a one-bowl recipe, and you can do it all with a whisk! Here is a summary of the steps, which are detailed in the recipe card below.
- Always start by pre-heating your oven. This will prevent your cake from being flat and chewy.
- Prepare your baking pan by greasing it or spraying with cooking spray.
- Whisk together the eggs, sweetener, and vanilla.
- Add in the oil, sour cream, almond flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking powder, and salt, mixing well after each.
- Pour into an 8-inch baking pan and bake!
TIP: Let the cake cool before crowning it with the keto chocolate frosting or ganache.
It couldn’t be easier. Once your Mocha Keto Chocolate Cake is out of the oven and cooled you’ll top it with the 2-ingredient dark chocolate frosting or ganache and serve it with that delicious espresso whipped cream.
I hope you love this rich, moist, chocolatey cake as much as I do! Thanks again, happy baking and hope you will love this recipe as much as we do!
Easy Mocha Keto Chocolate Cake
- 8-inch round cake pan
- A cake mixer OR a bowl and a whisk)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup swerve granulated sweetner
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- 1 cup almond flour approx. 96 g
- 1 tbsp coconut flour approx. 15 g
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp expresso powder
- 1¼ tbsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
DARK CHOCOLATE FROSTING OR GANACHE
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup sugar free dark chocolate chips
COFFEE (MOCHA) WHIPPED CREAM
- 1 tsp instant espresso powder
- 1 cup cold heavy cream
- 2 tbsp swerve confectioner’s sweetner
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray an 8-inch round cake pan with cooking spray and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, sweetener, and vanilla until thickened.
- Whisk in vegetable oil, followed by sour cream, mixing well after each addition.
- Sift in almond flour, coconut flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking powder and salt. Gently fold until well incorporated.
- Smooth batter into prepared pan then bake at 350 degrees F for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted at the centre comes out clean.
- Allow it to cool in a pan for 15minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
DARK CHOCOLATE GANACHE
- Heat heavy cream in a pan until hot but not boiling.
- Place the dark chocolate chips in a bowl and pour over the hot heavy cream.
- Spread the chocolate ganache on top of the cooled cake. Serve with the coffee (mocha) whipped cream below.
COFFEE (MOCHA) WHIPPED CREAM - OPTIONAL
- Combine sweetener, espresso powder, vanilla and heavy cream in a bowl. Whisk with a hand mixer until peaks form.
- Serve with the cake and enjoy!
"Nutrition information on the site is an estimate calculated using a third-party source and is provided for informational purposes only. If you have any specific dietary concerns, kindly consult with your healthcare practitioner. Variations may occur for many reasons, such as ingredients used and food preparation. We make no representation or warranty of the accuracy of this information."
Other recipes to try!
Loving this recipe? Well, you may also want to try out these other delicious recipes!
- Keto almond flour shortbread cookies
- Easy Keto Cinnamon Muffins
- Keto almond flour cookies
- Delicious Paleo Carrot Cake with Almond Flour
About the writer - Chenée Lewis
Hello, readers of PaleoLowCarbKate! My name is Chenée, and I share dessert recipes, meal and snack ideas, and DIY beauty and skincare at Chenée Today. I’m a huge fan of Kate’s blog, and it’s so exciting to have the opportunity to contribute to it however I can. Thank you so much for welcoming me and giving me the chance to share one of my newest and most favourite recipes, this low carb, keto-friendly mocha cake with a dark chocolate ganache.
This one’s for all you coffee lovers! This low-carb, gluten-free mocha chocolate cake is perfect for your cravings and SO easy to make. If you have a special occasion coming up, or you’re just in the mood for chocolate, trust me and make this cake!
I have a confession: I’m not currently following a keto or low carb diet. At the moment, my sweet tooth is too powerful, so I do enjoy sweet treats such as my Strawberry Sorbet on occasion (and. try not to eat all of the ones I bake). I do have friends and family who stay keto and low-carb so I have made goodies for them to enjoy, and I’ll try some from time to time. BUT my powerful sweet tooth makes me an authority on yummy desserts, and I’m pretty picky! And let me tell you– this mocha cake passed my test. It’s SO good! The best low-carb dessert I’ve made and can hold its own against any sugary cake out there.