Enjoy the taste of vacation at home!! This easy Pina Colada Smoothie Recipe is always our favourite in summer! A highly recommended refreshing drink for warm evenings. This recipe is much healthier because it uses coconut milk instead of cream of coconut, which is normally much sweeter. It also uses fresh pineapples and is, of course, vegan. Finally, the recipe fits perfectly into the paleo and whole 30 clean eating diets.
I wrote this recipe in May 2020. I have now updated the recipe card (August 2020) to a friendlier version.
Ingredients you need to make this Easy Pina Colada Smoothie Recipe
- A cup of canned coconut milk
- 1 cup diced pineapple (very ripe)
- 1 banana
- Vanilla extract (to taste)
- Pineapple slice to serve (optional)
- Crushed ice or ice cubes to serve (optional)
Other recipes that you may also like:
- Easy Carrot Ginger Coconut Soup
- Recipe for Turmeric Latte (Paleo and Vegan)
- Easy Peanut Butter Low Carb Keto Smoothie Recipe
- Delicious Paleo Carrot Cake with Almond Flour
How to make this Smoothie
To make this vegan virgin pina colada is pretty simple.
- Peel half a pineapple. Slice into quarters and dice one of the quarters into cubes. You can cut two separate pieces of pineapple to use for decoration as shown in the picture above.
- Combine canned coconut milk, diced pineapple, banana and vanilla extract in the blender and blend.
- Place some crushed ice or ice cubes into a glass. Pour the blended Pina Colada into the glass and serve. You can use pineapple slices to decorate your glass.
What goes into a traditional Pina Colada?
First, the name Pina Colada is derived from the Spanish words piña which means (pineapple) and colada (strained).
Pina Colada comprises of white rum, cream of coconut or coconut milk and pineapple juice. Cream of coconut refers to sweetened and thickened coconut milk. The ratio is normally as follows:
- 1 oz ( 1 part) coconut cream
- 1 oz (1 part) white rum
- 3 oz (3 parts) pineapple juice
On the other hand, Virgin Pina Colada or piñita colada is basically Pina Colada minus the rum.
Calories in this Pina Colada Smoothie
This virgin Pina Colada recipe has 142 calories per serving. 24.8g carbs, 4.8g Fat, 3.6g Fiber and 0.9g Protein.
Easy Pina Colada Smoothie Recipe
- A blender - to process
- Glasses to serve
- 1 cup canned coconut milk (full fat)
- 1 cup frozen diced pineapple (very ripe)
- 1 banana
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pineapple slice to garnish (optional)
- ice cubes or crushed ice to serve (optional)
- Peel and dice 1 cup (roughly 2 slices) of fresh pineapple. Cut a quarter of a slice of pineapple, half it once more and put a cut in each piece. Leave it on the side to stick on the glasses later.
- Measure the coconut milk and put it into the blender. Add the banana and pineapple to the blender then the vanilla extract. Blend thoroughly for about 3 minutes.
- Place some ice (crushed or ice cubes) into two glasses. Serve the blended pina colada from the blender into the glasses. Garnish the rim of each glass with the pineapple pieces you had set aside. Serve immediately.
Sharing is caring!
Sharing is caring - show your support by sharing with your friends. This means a lot to me and goes a long way in supporting the blog.