Hearty and sinfully delicious Kale Salad with Walnuts and Creamy Avocado Dressing that you will definitely love! It is suitable for the Low carb, Keto, Paleo and Whole 30 diets.
Before you skip to the recipe card, don't forget to read the USEFUL RECIPE TIPS in the post!
Do not be shocked but this was my first time eating kale raw. Anyone else riding on the same boat as me? This may come as a surprise, as I am Kenyan and Kale is one of our national dishes. We, however, eat it mostly cooked. The same holds here in Germany where kale is normally served cooked, over sausages and potatoes.
I actually made this recipe for my husband to test and taste, not for me. Raw Kale did not just seem right, well, at least until I tasted it. The rest is history, I just couldn't stop eating. Kale is very healthy and rich in vitamins and minerals. Eating raw kale helps get the best out of this healthy vegetable.
Love salads? Then you will absolutely want to try my shrimp and beetroot green salad recipe.
KITCHEN TOOLS NEEDED TO PREPARE THIS KALE SALAD WITH WALNUTS AND CREAMY AVOCADO DRESSING
You will basically need just a few tools, in terms of kitchen equipment.
- A sharp knife - To chop or slice up the vegetables. You could also use a food processor. Make sure to use the slicer for the kale as opposed to the chopper. I used a knife for this salad.
- A chopping board - if using a knife instead of a food processor.
- Two mixing bowls - one to massage the kale in as well as to mix the salad together. The other bowl to make the salad dressing.
- A whisk - to whip up the dressing.
MAKING THE KALE SALAD WITH WALNUTS AND CREAMY AVOCADO DRESSING
Making the salad basically involves just a few simple steps.
- Chopping the kale - I personally prefer to slice my kale really thin. Some do prefer their kale chunky. Whichever the case, I would advise making sure you cut-off as much as possible of the stemmy middle part as this tends to be bitter. One may get away with the stemmy bits when cooking the kale but it is a bit different with raw kale.
- Massaging the kale - see the heading below on how to go about it.
- Dicing the onion - use a sharp knive to dice the onion over a chopping board. The smaller the better.
- Making the creamy avocado dressing - in a bowl whisk together avocado, minced garlic, a pinch of salt, black pepper and lemon juice.
- Adding the dressing and topping to the kale.
TIP: Once done, set the bowl aside before serving for at least 10 minutes. This will allow the salt and vinegar to permeate the leaves.
MASSAGING THE KALE - HOW TO TENDERIZE KALE FOR SALAD
At first, massaging the kale may seem silly but this is such an important step when preparing kale for salads. It involves the use of acid, salt or both. This recipe uses salt. Massaging the kale basically assists to:
- Soften the fibres of the kale thereby making it easier to chew.
- Massaging the kale also helps reduce the bitterness, hence making it more palatable.
- It also makes the dressing sit-in better on the salad
To massage the kale, simply slice the Kale into biteable chunks, then add it to a medium-sized bowl. Next, sprinkle 1 tablespoon of salt over the kale and mix for about 2-5 minutes in firm continuous movement.
Another way to massage Kale is to take the leaves in each hand and rub them against each other. The kale should reduce in size by about half, once you are done.
OTHER DELICIOUS TOPPINGS YOU CAN USE FOR THIS KALE SALAD
The walnuts and diced onion are absolutely optional. Feel free to use your favourite toppings instead of, or in addition to the walnuts. Cranberries and apple slices are a delicious nut-free, paleo alternative. Bacon is also a perfect topping for those on a low carb or keto diet.
Let's now get to the recipe. You can easily print the recipe card below.
Kale Salad with Walnuts and Creamy Avocado Dressing
- Food processor or blender - for the avocado dressing
- A knife - to slice the Kale
- a chopping board
- A bowl - for mixing
MASSAGED KALE SALAD
- 250 g Kale with stems removed - approx. 6 cups
- ¼ ¼ medium red onion or a small shallot, thinly diced
- 50 g chopped walnuts - or about ¼ a cup
- 30 ml apple cider vinegar - or about 2 tablespoons
- 1 tbsp salt
CREAMY AVOCADO DRESSING
- 1 medium-sized avocado
- juice of ½ a lemon
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ tsp salt and pepper to taste
MASSAGED KALE SALAD
- Wash and slice the kale. Transfer the sliced kale into a medium-sized bowl.
- Sprinkle the apple cider vinegar and a tablespoon of salt on top of the kale. Use your hands to rub the kale against each other for about 2 to 3 minutes. The kale leaves should feel soft to the touch and should have reduced in volume once you are done.
- Arrange the Kale on a plate. Top with walnuts and the finely chopped onion. Drizzle the dressing (recipe below) on top and let sit for about 10 minutes then serve.
CREAMY AVOCADO DRESSING
- To make the dressing, use a food processor or blender to mix avocado, minced garlic, olive oil, juice of half a lemon, salt and pepper. In case you do not have a food processor, use a medium-sized bowl and a whisk to whisk everything together, until creamy.
- Drizzle on top of the massaged kale, allow it to sit for about 10 minutes then serve.
HOW DID IT GO?
Did you get to try this Kale salad with Walnuts and Creamy Avocado dressing? Let me know in the comment section below how you found it. Have tips on how I can improve the recipe? I am happy to know. Loved, the recipe? You can rate it through the ⭐on the recipe card above or follow and like my Facebook page.
Loving this recipe? Well, you may also want to try out these other delicious recipes!