This Mascarpone chicken and mushroom recipe is packed full of flavour! The mascarpone cheese creates just the perfect creaminess and can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge for later. This recipe is totally gluten-free, sugar-free and keto compliant. The icing on the cake? You only need one skillet or pan to make it! The perfect KETO chicken recipe.
Making the Mascarpone Chicken and Mushroom Recipe
I started by cleaning the chicken breasts then dicing them into bite-sized chunks. I then seasoned the chicken and set it aside so the seasoning could set in. You can totally skip this step but I always find that food tastes best when marinated.
I then proceeded to dice the mushrooms and mince the garlic. Then it was time to pan-fry the chicken.
TIP: I always like to start by making sure my skillet is nice and hot. I then fry the chicken so it gets nicely browned. Give the chicken a few minutes to fry before turning.
You could start by frying the garlic but the taste will not be quite the same.
Then I set aside the chicken on a plate and proceeded to fry the garlic in the same pan. I love the brown bits sticking on the pan as this is what will give our sauce so much flavour!
Next, I added the chicken stock to deglaze the bottom of the pan and get all that juicy flavour that tends to stick on the bottom of the pan when frying food, especially meat.
TIP: Do not skip the deglazing part as it helps get all the delicious bits stuck on the pan. Deglazing basically means adding some sort of cold liquid to the pan or skillet to help remove residue stuck at the bottom.
I then proceeded to stir-in the mascarpone cheese. Then it was time to reduce the heat to a low, cover and let simmer.
What to serve with the Mascarpone Chicken and Mushroom
This recipe pairs well with roasted or mashed potatoes (paleo), mashed cauliflower, broccoli, spiralized vegetables or zucchini boats (as keto or low carb options). I would recommend normal pasta for those with no particular dietary requirements.
Other recipes to try!
Loving this recipe? Well, you may also want to try out these other delicious African recipes!
- Sauteed Button Mushrooms with Garlic
- Whole Orange Roast Chicken Recipe
- Easy Baked Chicken Drumsticks Recipe
- Simple Keto Chicken Hearts Recipe
- Healthy Stuffed Omelettes
Calories per serving
Each serving of this mascarpone chicken and mushroom recipe has 502 calories. It is high in fat and protein, making it suitable for the keto and low carb diets. A serving has 29.9g of fat, 3.5g of carbohydrate, 0.1g of dietary fiber, 43.3g of protein and 2.1g of sugar.
How to store or freeze for later use
When stored properly, the cooked mascarpone chicken and mushrooms will keep fresh in the fridge for about 3-4 days. It is best to use airtight containers. Zip-lock bags or cling film is also okay to use. The NHS recommends keeping your fridge at a temperature of 5 degrees Celsius (about 41 degrees Fahrenheit).
It is also recommended to use best by dates. This will particularly assist other family members who may not know when a particular dish was stored in the fridge hence helping to prevent food poisoning.
Mascarpone Chicken and Mushroom Recipe
- A knife
- Chopping board
- A medium-sized skillet or pan
- A kitchen towel or cloth
- 500 g chicken breast approx. 1 pound
- 250 g mascarpone cheese approx. ½ a pound
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 150 ml chicken stock (or about ½ a cup)
- 1 tsp lemon pepper (optional)
- 1 tsp fresh basil or dried thyme (optional)
- ½ tsp salt - or more to taste
- Clean the chicken breasts under running water. Pat dry with a clean kitchen cloth and dice into bite-sized chunks.
- Season chicken breast with salt and set aside for at least 10min. In the meantime, peel and eithermince or chop the garlic finely using a sharp kitchen knife. Slice the mushrooms as desired. I prefer mine chunky.
- Place a medium-sized cast iron pan on the stove and heat under medium heat.Next, add the chicken breast to the skillet or pan and let brown. About 4 minutes on each side should be okay. Just make sure not to stir too early as you will not get a nice colour on the chicken. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside on a plate.
- Lower the heat to a low and stir in the garlic to the pan. Fry until slightly browned and soft then add the chicken stock. At this point, increase the heat to a medium and stir. Next, add in the mushrooms. To make the mascarpone sauce, carefully stir-in the mascarpone cheese and let simmer on for about 5 minutes. A wooden spoon or silicone spatula would also do fine.
- Return the chicken breast to the pan and lower the heat to a low. Cover the pan or skillet and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve with cauliflower mash, zoodles or a side dish of your choice such as pasta, for those not following a low carb diet.
- Feel free to swap the dried thyme and lemon pepper for your favourite herbs. For example, fresh basil, parsley and rosemary pair well with chicken breast.
“Nutrition information on the site is an estimate calculated using a third-party source and is provided for informational purposes only. It is highly recommended that you make your own calculations. If you have any specific dietary concerns, kindly consult with your healthcare practitioner. Variations may occur for many reasons, such as ingredients used and food preparation. We make no representation or warranty of the accuracy of this information.” Net carbs exclude fiber, erythritol and allulose since they do not impact the blood sugar levels in most people.